Saturday, February 11, 2017

Learning to BEE Like Dorcas

By patsy norwood ~ © 2008 - 2017 ~ All Rights Reserved

Lesson 4

After reviewing previous lessons we delved into lesson 4 which was based on Dorcas’ death. We talked about how the dead were cared for in Bible times verses how the dead are cared for in today’s times which came as a result of ‘Dorcas’ body being laid in the upper room.’ In the midst of our discussion one of the girls said she needed to ask me a Bible question later. Well ladies, if the girls want to discuss Bible we are going to discuss Bible even if it is in the middle of a Bible lesson, so we stopped our lesson on Dorcas and addressed her question. She made the statement that in a discussion with one of her friends she had been asked if she was going to the prom this year and she had said no. When asked why, she stated that the Bible taught that the type of dancing that went on at proms was wrong. The friend, of course, wanted to know where in the Bible it said that. That was my student’s question, where in the Bible does it say dancing of this nature is wrong. I was overjoyed with my student’s response and willingness to be different and was more than willing to arm her with the knowledge she needed to carry an answer back to her friend. We started at …

I Peter 4:1-4 (NKJV)
Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles – when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking, parties, and abominable idolatries. In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you.

After reading these Scriptures I asked if she/they heard the word dancing anywhere in the reading and she/they correctly answered, ‘no.’ I told them they were right and then directed them to look at the word ‘revelries’ in verse 3.

Definition of revelries …
An occasion or course of noisy festivity with dancing and other forms of entertainment

We then turned to
Galatians 5:19-21 (NKJV)

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you before hand, just as I also told you in time past that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.


Here again I noted to them that we don’t find the word ‘dancing’ but what we do find is the word lewdness (some translations use lasciviousness) in verse 19.

Lewdness/lasciviousness
Wanton acts or manners; indecent bodily movements, unchaste handling of males and females

I then asked the class if any of those behaviors occurred at a prom and they all agreed that they did.

We turned to one more Scripture found in
Romans 13:13 …

Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

I explained to the class that I didn’t write the Bible, that this teaching did not originate with me, but came from God’s word and that sometimes being a Christian meant that we would be different.

She then had another question … What passages of Scripture would be good to read during the partaking of the Lord’s Supper each week? Ladies, my heart soared with joy, these girls were listening even when I thought they might not have been! I explained to her that all the Scriptures were good ones to read during the Lord’s Supper then I shared with her what I do. I open my Bible wherever it might open and start reading quietly to myself and continuing reading until the Lord’s Supper is completed. I explained to her that by reading God’s Word during the Lord’s Supper it keeps my mind focused on Jesus and the tremendous sacrifice He made for me, for mankind. I also explained to the class that I am human just like everyone else and that if I don’t do this I find my mind wondering about things such as lunch, the many things I need to do at home, etc.

This young lady left class that night with Bible facts straight from God’s word to help her help others and to help fortify the choices she is making. From a teacher's point of view, it just doesn't get any better than that!


patsy
She Hath Done What She Could

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.