Thursday, February 2, 2017

Learning to BEE Like Dorcas!

Lesson 1

Copyright 2008 - 2017.  All Rights Reserved!

by Patsy Norwood


A  couple of weeks before class began each girl received a personal invitation to our special 'summer series.'

I made the invitations out of card stock using my computer and printer. After they were printed out I cut them down using scrapbooking scissors and worked the 'ribbon' into bows in the 2 holes I had punched in the cards.


As a way of kicking off the class and welcoming each girl to the series I put together a ‘pocketbook’ of goodies made out of cardstock and jute string.

Each girl had a folder with the guidelines for earning points.  It would also hold their homework and any other activities or handouts I had for them.  Inside the folder was the bag shown in yesterday's post and would be used to keep their rewards in ... which they could not open until the night of the banquet.  The basket in the picture was were I put the rewards they could choose.


Then we opened the class with the ABC memory verses I wanted them to learn.


Next, I explained what we were going to be doing in the class and about the point system I had set up for them in which they could earn rewards.

I then had each girl take a pink highlighter and highlight Acts 9:36-42 in their Bibles.
(We highlight women verses in pink. If it’s talking about any woman or women in general, it’s a woman verse.)

After that we delved into the lesson by talking about Dorcas the person, the town of Joppa where she lived, about why there were so many widows and orphans in Joppa, and about how Christianity came to Joppa. Each girl was given a homework sheet to take home about the lesson and instructions to bring it back completed the next week.
(This was one way they could earn points that would go toward their reward.)


Then we broke out the needles, thread, and practice pieces of fabric. Yes, you guessed it, these young ladies were going to learn how to make basic stitches and complete a sewing project. (Now, what would a Dorcas class be without sewing!) It was so much fun watching them learn how to thread a needle, tie a knot, make the first stitch and then secure it.  I had them do a practice piece before we started on the actual project.

patsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.